Not enough hours in the day? Feeling overwhelmed by the many tasks on your to-do list? Is your day controlling you verses you controlling your day?
As an entrepreneur or business owner you have a to-do list about a mile long and then some. In order to tackle this list it is best to implement a few time management techniques to ensure the most important items are completed first. Below you will find a list of tips to help you work smarter not harder!
1. Plan, Plan, Plan The #1 time management mistake most people make is doing whatever comes across their desk first. Taking a few minutes every day or every week to plan out your to-do list will give you a visual on what needs to be done and what’s most important. Making a to-do list breaks down large projects or tasks into more manageable items.
2. EAT THE FROG! You heard me right, EAT THE FROG. Your FROG is the most stressful, most important, and biggest task on your to-do list. The FROG task is more than likely the one thing on your to-do list that you will likely procrastinate on. Putting this task at the top of your to-do list and completing it first will make all other tasks feel small.
3. Log out of email/social media accounts It can be easy to get lost in emails or on social media and lose many hours to little or no productivity. Scheduling time for these tasks can give you your day back and make your time more productive. Knowing you only have a set amount of time will encourage you to spend your time more wisely so that you accomplish more with less.
4. Change your thinking Constantly complaining that you are too busy or that you don’t have enough time in the day will only lead to that very thing, no time. A positive attitude can completely change your working habits and can even provide you with more energy to take on the day. This doesn’t mean that you have to be all smiles all the time but taking a moment to identify something positive in things you may not be so excited about could completely transform your habits.
5. Get Help Have you planned everything out, ate the frog, and still don’t have enough time in the day? This may be a sign that you need to outsource some of your tasks. Whether it is a virtual assistant, bookkeeper, or errand boy/girl, allowing others to assist you may be the very thing you need to make the most of your to-do list.